Saturday, March 17, 2007

miss identifcation?

I decided to wear my Credit' Arigcole jersey as it was most green thing I have. I took I a different route over to the start of the club ride. I actually managed to keep (about 20 mph) for he first ten mile. The we start a 1000 foot over the next 5 miles(up to Shinn Road). I dropped off the back quite a bit, but my buddies were waiting and one of them held my bike so I could take off my tights. We rode together for a while. At another hill , a rider was having problems with his gears, so I waited for him. the main gang had caught by a light, Stopped at the coffee shop and had a cappuccino before start back. I did the 100 foot climb from the other side, which was fun (not), since it has about 1/4 mile of 12% grade. I made up to over 40 coming into Claremont, and pedaled back home.
miles 62.8 or 100K
I was think about this, out here I'm a slow rider (at least in the club), when I I go to an away event, the impression of my speed changes for the better. I think may need to do some more "rebel" thing.
I was thinking about this reading a forum post on bikejournal.com. Someone had posted a youtube video about a bicycle ride down a descent in Colorado. Some had remarked how Aaron Copeland's "Appalachian Spring" was fitting. I thought that it was odd, "Appalachian Spring" always (in a bicycling sense of the word) bring to my mind a ride along the Yellow Breeches, Conodoguinet, or Manada creeks in Pennsylvania. it was acually "Rodeo".( A bit more fitting)And I have to admit, I really, really like "Appalachian Spring" since it is based on a melody that is used in two of my favorite Christian Songs; Simple Gifts and Lord of the Dance. Of course, I get confused and run these together in my in my mind, so I find myself singing something like this:
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free,
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come round right
Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he,
And I'll lead you all, wherever you may be,
And I'll lead you all in the dance, said he.
Sometimes I think we try and make things too simple. it's easy to make a snap judgments of something and then try and find things that back up your view (of people, things, Hobbies, or religion) rather than putting you brain in gear and look at the truth, As Van Halen said " I found the simple life ain't so simple"
As for me I'm still looking for the Valley of love and delight. I almost went to Albany,NY before I came out here. As you may know, Albany was there Shakers were based. I often thought That I was alive bake in the 1820's , I probably would have joined up. Of course I also think the same thing about John Reed.
Enough food for thought. Until Manana....

No comments: