Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Ghost town

From 8-22-2009

Yes, there is a Ghost town here in Socal.
Mr. Guasti moved here to start a wine company He built an early planned community to support his workers. At the time, it was the largest in the world.
Then came prohibition, which slowed things down. And then WWII, which result in a lot acreage being used to build what is now Ontario International Airport. The fifties resulted in Interstate 10 being built , which took more vines. When I arrived, it was a ghost town, with a just a wine shop run by the Filippis and a used furniture store.
Now it's being redeveloped into a 21-st century planned community.
Initially I hadn't planned on going by here, but since I having problem transporting my recumbent, I wanted to see if I could find a small vehicle that it would fit into. I went by the Chevy dealer, the HHR looked promising. I wanted to go to the Ontario Auto Center nan it was the shortest way.
There's still some Vines (I apologize for the blurry photo. The sign is for the airport)
From 8-22-2009

I took the ped bridge over Archibald, and here;s whats left of Guasti:
From 8-22-2009

From 8-22-2009

San Secondo d'Asti is still in business and it is expected to remain. It's also the only local parish to do a Latin mass
From 8-22-2009

The post office is not in a Historical building:
From 8-22-2009

Then I went window shopping,> I primarily wanted to see if I get in a Honda Fit or Kia Rondo. I did a couple of laps of Auto Center Drive before I figured out they weren't on Auto Center.The Honda may be worth going back when they're open:
From 8-22-2009

The KIA Dealer didn't have a Rondo. They did have a used Mazda 5 (the angle is because in California, the plate stays with the car, not the owner.)
From 8-22-2009

I then did the club rid and got a picture of Brent and his new bike:
From 8-22-2009

and found out that the PET does exist in fontana:
From 8-22-2009

No comments: