Friday, April 24, 2009

Rite-aid fashion

I'm going to lead another recumbent only ride on the upper section of the Santa Ana trail. I'm also planning on doing the Great Western Bike rally in Paso Robles the is memorial day weekend, so i needed to some hill training.
why Rite -aid? The last time I was up there , I forgot to bring my tights, and the only thing I could find in Morro Bay was a pair of Semi-tights at Rite Aid. it was prefect weather for them. Capris, Knickers? you decide:
From 4-24-2009

I started on the Santa Ana Trial. unlike the Orange County section, we leave no doubt that you are in the desert:
From 4-24-2009

I thought about going up mt Ruibidoix, but could remember how to get on the trail:
From 4-24-2009

I found out that they had added some more to the trail, so instead of 15 miles one way, I had about 17 miles when I turned around. I thought about California's title of the "Golden state" when I saw the Grass.
From 4-24-2009

From 4-24-2009

Coming Back I ran across this trail side memorial:
From 4-24-2009

I got off the Santa And trail and started making my way to Greenspot. It's really nice , that you are riding thru Orange Groves. There were several self service stands. I meant to come back and take a pic and pick a bag of oranges, but I forgot.
From 4-24-2009

I did have to get on Hiway 38 through downtown Mentone, but It was a nice wide shoulder, which was not bad. and I was doing fairly decent with my climbing, pretty much keeping to the same ratios as on my Diamond frame (conventional) bike:
From 4-24-2009

Ca 38 is the "Back way" to Big bear. I guess they're having an "end of season" sale
From 4-24-2009

Some one likes plastic Sculptures:
From 4-24-2009

I almost went the other way. riding up this hills through the orange grove can't be beat!
From 4-24-2009

Then I came to the old Iron Bridge and Seven oaks dam:
From 4-24-2009

Going down Greenpsot was a blast. I almost did not do this ride, as the weather forecast had called for high winds. I had avoid it until I got the 210 freeway, when I wound up in a dust devil.
I wound up the ride by going through the Old Norton Air Force base. It can be depressing as the base housing was basically abandoned. But I didn't Notice it , mainly because I was on 3rd Street instead of 5th street.
Norton AFB is now San Bernardino International Airport. The only "airline" is the "con air" operation of the US Marshalls, although the City Of San Bernardino is building a new terminal:
From 4-24-2009

but the past is always close at hand:
From 4-24-2009

I made back to the car, and decided to celebrate my longets ride this year by getting a Garbage burrito from Rosa Mara's A Garbage burrito is one with very possible ingredient. I just had to decide which Rosa Maria's to go to. Highland or Redlands? Redlands won out.
Now I need to wash my capris. Tomorrow looks like Capri weather again. But maybe I need to go to Rie Aid again.
FHS Jana

No comments: