Sunday, April 15, 2012

Riding in Memphis

since I'm down here for the weekend, I rented a car: Chrysler 200. And a Bike: KHS Urban xcape. I rented it from Midtown bike , which is located on South Main. the owner was little, which is excusable with this ride: I started out by riding up to Beale and headed east with my pedals 10 feet off the street: Next was the Sun Studios on Union Ave: and into Midtown on Peabody: A stop for Donald Boothby: I cannot confirm or deny the consumption of Doughnuts. :) Next, let's swing by Mom's Place: And the levitt bandshell. The Memphis Greyhound Rescue club was having a concert. Elvis is probably turning over in his grave at my associating his name with theirs. and then I went back west and past the wreck Of Sears Crosstown: Like almost all tall buildings in Memphis, it's Vacant. Next up was North parkway: And back to the river and the Pyramid, the Tallest Building in Memphis (You guessed it' vacant, but soon to become a Bass pro ahop. Yes, that's not a typo) Confederate Park: and then onto South Main. I remember when they developed this as a Pedestrian mall in the 70's, My Dad and Uncle David took us down here. At 11PM. Coming to back to Uncle David's in Berclair, we were sworn to secrecy on North Parkway around the Zoo. Looks better now: Not all old Hotels in Memphis get to enjoy second lives like the Parkview or the Peabody. This is the Hotel Chisca: Home of elvis' first radio appearance and this one, name lost to time: I stopped and lunch at Memphis' oldest pub, the green beetle: Faded Magnolia, Fried Okra, Catfish, and Collard Greens, Life is good!

No comments: