Sunday, May 22, 2011

The big Jerk(y)

In the interest of writing research ,I did another experiential cooking session: I attempted to make jerky.
You start out with meat cut of you choice. I chose pork because it was on sale
you then cut away all the fat:
(yes, I need to clean my counter tops)
You then slice the meat into thin slices, very thin, like 1/6 to 1/18 inch. This was fun enough with modern utensil,s I can imagine doing it with stone tools.
You then add some seasoning (I used a pre-made mix by Lem, but back in the day, they would have used salt and whatever local herbs they could find.

historically, curing was done by letting strips dry over a flame or out in the air for several weeks, both of which are guaranteed not to meet with Landlord approval. I went back to bass pro and picked up a drying rack. I could have gotten a dehydrator or even a Jerky Cannon(makes jerky- sized strip out of ground meat). You put in the oven and set it for 150 degrees F and let it go for 8 hours.
The result: makes me glad I live in 2011 and not 1811(should have used PAM on the rack). It was worth it, since it gave me some inspiration.
Until next time, keeping on dreaming..

No comments: