Saturday, December 01, 2007

We don't need no Dead white men...

I picked up a book by Karen Armstrong, Visions of God: Four Medieval Mystics and Their Writings
In it, she profiles four medieval mystics and their writings: Richard Rolleand the fire of love, The author of the Cloud of Unknowing, Walter Hilton and the Ladder of perfection, and Julian OF Norwich and the revelations of Divine love
Needless to say, I was really struck by their writings. particularly the last two. I think a lot of time, we tend to think that whatever's new is the best. And then there the camp that say the good old days were the best and never will return.
Me, I'd be delight if I could a service where we sang both a Mighty fortress is Our God, by Martin Luther and Lord, We Lift Your Name on High
, but it seem we get one or the other. Which is too bad, because one ignores the past (and remember what George Santayana had to say?), while the other ignores Changes in Society, (you can't preach to choir all the time)
I actuallu got out and rode today! onely 45 miles, but still, and made to St Mark tiwice
, Yes, i lnow I was going to blog about prayer, and my rule of prayer, Maybe we'll get started tommorrow

No comments: