Saturday, July 21, 2007

Fredwina does her own perm

No, I', not talking one of those Toni home perm kits. Randoneurrers USA will allow to ride a set route for Brevet credit. I was going to ride a different route, but some one wanted to ride my routes, so I decided to may sure everything was OK. The results: well, The one time I had given myself a home perm, I drove home the next day. My parents next door neighbor was a hair dresser and 10 minutes after I had stepped out of the car, I was in a chair at the Lora-Don Beauty Salon;)
The start is about 6 mile from my place. I decided to ride over. I got there exactly at the right time.
I took off and was soon at the edge of Riverside, Here's a picture of Mt Rubidoux:
and here Is the world-famuous Mission inn The Interior is to die for, but I didn't think they would let me in:

I then pedaling through the Uc-Riverside experimental farms:

These were for nematode research:

I then climbed up to Alessandro blvd., which was followed by a quick descent to Victoria Street. Nothing like 10 miles of this:
I stopped at Circle K car in Corona, fought some traffic, and was soon making way back up to Ontario. I saw some plane take off at the airport, and was soon at my next Control Rancho Carwash and Lube; I think it's called that because Rancho Cucamonga Carwash, Quick lube, Mini Mart, Taco Stand, and Self Storage wouldn't fit on a business license
I was doing good with tiem I had 70 miles and it was only 12:30. The taco satnd was closed:( so stopped by the Casa Fredwina for a pizza:) . I was soon on my way.
Here's the Claremont Colleges:
and the oldest tree in LaVerne
I started to fight 16mph headwinds to get down to Azusa. It also got hot. I was fine going down:
The course only has 4000 feet of climbing, but half of that is in the last 30 miles. That and the heat did a number on me . I stopped at a Mini mart at Base Line and Carnelian and got some Gatorade and Chocike milk. I considered going home, as I was about a mile away(plus a 250' descent:p ).
I pressed on, I was doing halfway good until I got to Cherry and the 210 in Fontana - the route goes up to Nealy's Corners(Sierra and the 15). I had a flat there, and the time in sun may have done me in. It was about 5:39.
I really didn't have on the climb. I stopped once where there was some shade , and it did a little a bit of good, but that was the last patch of shade I was also worried about getting back after dark as I didn't have my lights with me. So i came back. To 20mph winds.
what Happened. I changed my fuel to Accelerade, but I think that helped. Taste better(to me), but I should drank more of it. I also changed my pre-ride meal from Sizzler to Fazoli's, but I think I 'll change that back.
Actually, one of the things I was thinking(doing 12 hours are great for this kind of thing) about was that my life has gotten a little out of whack. Granted the job is crazy, but I won't go there(i assume most of you have not had your boss how you came up with your Handle), but It seems that doing the Ultra cycling is just too much of a time Drain (although I may do one or two more in the fall). I'm also now the leader of a Professional Organization. I'd like to restore some balance between Bicycle Fredwina, Religious Fredwina, and Career Fredwina. Esepically since Religious Fredwina and Career Fredwina have put there head together and came up with a nifty idea that needs some research. Don't worry, I still be boarding, and Blogging, and Journaling, but it looks the R-12 is going by the wayside

No comments: