Sunday, June 20, 2010

video Killed the bicycle Star


The Rev Kieth Yamamoto approached me as I was leaving church a couple of week ago.
"Jana" he said "have you ever thought about getting a video camera? Id like you to shoot a video of your ride into the church"
And thus a seed was born. I've been working overtime, and put the money to good use by purchasing a Vholdr contourHD camcorder. Most of my friends have GoPro heros, but I went with the VHoldR for couple of reasons. First, the Vholdr is bit more compact. yes I know, I ride a recumbent (the uber-geeky bike), but hey aero counts! The VHoldr also uses a rechargeable battery vs the Go Pro AAA's (gotta be green), and the Vholdr came with editing software(a plus for an editing newbie).
Well, the editing software uses an old verison of Java and SQLite it won't run with modern software! arrgh! Rather spend a couple of hours futzing with my classpath, I downloaded a free copy of videopad Viola! Video editing
Now on to Saturday:

I started out with Camcorder in my bag. The SD card it ships with (another plus for Vholdr: it comes with SD card, whereas GoPro makes you go buy one)will only record 2 hours in standard mode, so we'll have to rely on stills:
From 6-19-2010

From 6-19-2010

From 6-19-2010

I went up to Lytle Creek Road. I had a litte bit of June Gloom going back:
From 6-19-2010

when I got back to the coffee shop: I put the Vholr on my helmet and took off:

I did take a little break with Brent and Mike:

and did some errands on the way home:

Sunday, I decided to do a challenging ride:


Since I had been shooting snippets and editing them together, I tried the HD mode:

pretty good, eh?
I shot some more on the way home:

just what I need - another expensive hobby!

No comments: