Sunday, May 25, 2008

Maybe I should stop doing brevets with Bruce...







After all the rain we has here on Friday, I wasn't quite sure if should doing the brevet that's based on one of my permanent routes yesterday.
I started out thinking I would just do "the Grind", the club's normal Saturday ride (called because it starts at It's A Grind Coffee Shop). But then that still , small voice told me to bring along that second jug of Hammer Gel.
Things didn't start out well, as the first thing I saw was the snow on Ontario Peak.
I got to the coffee shop ,and relaxed. I started talking with Mike Berry, our RBA, and Bruce, how had another accident
So Instead of heading out Baseline Road, I went down Eitwanda Ave, The Riders were Bruce, a couple from Pomona, and a Gentleman from San Diego.
The sky started to clear as we headed into Fontana. The Gentleman(sorry, didn't get his name) had a problem with his saddle in the bumpy section near the 10 freeway. I really didn't think he need any help so I pedaled on(he passed me in Riverside. Bruce was already out on in from as usual.
SO I was a bit surprised when Bruce passed me at UCR! He couldn't get His co2 cartridge to and had wait for a slower ride to help him out.
And Mr. San Diego? we ran into him at Canyon Crest. We had a seat bag that attached the attached the eyelets on Seat Stays, and on of these had come loose and wrapped around his cassette. I thought maybe he was going to have to wait for the bike shop in shopping center to open to crack his cassette, but we got it untangled.
The couple from Pomona passed on the climb up Sycamore Canyon, and I got to see a C-17 taking off from March AFB. I helped th couple out with the light to get on Alessandro Blvd. I left at the first control, an AM/PM. I thought that they would catch me pretty quick, but I made to the end of Alessandro, down Gilman Springs, past the Scientology compound(see pic from afar),and onto the road to the Soboba Indian Reservation before the caught me.
I was feeling pretty good when turn of the reservation road to go into Hemet. When I made the turn, I felt my bike start handle strangely(almost went down). I recognized that I had a flat. I fixed it once, or so I thought. Them I noticed that the bead had not seated correctly. so Bent down to fix it, and you guessed it, PLOW! So I dug out my second tube , and got it down correctly. The original had a slow enough leak that left me with no spare tubes 60 miles from home. I went to 7-eleven and had lunch.
I could remember that there was a bike shop in Hemet, but didn't know where it was. I saw a Gentleman riding a Raleigh along the side walk, so I doubled back and asked him. It was across the street.
I went down Warren, and past the Sod Farms on Romona expressway.
One of the big ride in Randonnuering is Called Paris-Brest-Paris, so I had take picture of a "City of Perris" sign. the pic didn;t come too good, but there was a Cargo plane landing at March AFB over my head.
I was going to stop and Ralphs to use the bath rooms, but decided I could make it to the Circle K in Corona. I stopped to take a Pic of a Jacandra tree in blossom along Victoria street.
when I pulled into Circle K., there was two Police cars in the parking lot. My first thought was that they had been robbed, and I would have to find some place to get a receipt. It turns out the officers were discussing another call. The clerk noticed that she had seen a lot cyclist and gave me a receipt without asking.Unfortunately, the bath room was out of order, so I went to a Vons across the freeway.
The rest of the ride was uneventful. Unlike last month, I didn't have to deal with 25mph headwinds going up Hamner and Milliken. and there were cyclist waiting at the coffee shop! Bruce had gone home, but the other three were still there. I sat down and talked with them before heading for home.
So, sometimes You have stop worrying and listen for that still,small voice, I was think about this at church,as the Gospel lesson was Matthew 6:24-26("Aren't you worth more than Birds? ..."

No comments: