Saturday, October 10, 2009

You can't escape technology

I had some dental work yesterday, and then got some new glasses. In between the two, It knocked me for a loop. I went to bed at 7.
Which left me with a dilemma. I had signed up to do a perm. Did I want to ride 130 miles? Plus I supposed to do a 60 mile with recumbent club today.
I decided that a change of scenery would do me good. Riding down baseline doesn't cut it after a while, plus I wanted to do a long trip with my Rondo.
I was feeling a lot better in the morning, like I could both. But I left my Hammer heed at home and only had enough Hammer Gel for about 6 hours - not enough time for a 200K, and there's not many place on the route to re-fuel.
I got to the shopping center and bought some thing from Ralphs. but the stamp was off by an hout and a half. So I went to the Bank of America. I always get a kick out of this Shopping as it was used as the "Malibu Mall" in the movie "Malibu's Most wanted"

I pedaled off and the sun came out. I stopped to take a picture:
From 10-10-2009

Actually, I had been fighting Recumbutt from climbing. I Finally got out of the hills and was pedaling along the coast when I Heard a rider going the other way Calling my name. It was Frank Gutierrez. I was wondering what he was doing , then noticed that most of the riders going the other way had ride stickers on their bikes. A Charity ride was going the other way. I pulled over at the Missle Museum at the Naval air Station. I thought I heard Frank's wife , Paulie,say hell, bit I did not see her. I always feel a little sticky when I wind up in the same spot as a charity ride, as the volunteers usually assume that you are on the ride, so I took off. I pedaled past some farm fields, and got some stares from the migrant work (un loco biceleta!) I stopped at the first control and had a Gatorade.
I got to Ventura, and was debating whether to turn around. I decided to make it to the beach, about 50 miles, which would give a century for the day:
From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

I stopped at Vons and got a sandwich.
I was going to take picture of the worksers, but they had left:
From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

I then made my way to Point Mugu. And since I was not trying for a personal record. I explored a bit
Planes at the Cal Air Guard base:
From 10-10-2009

Mc Donnell Douglas F-4 Phantom:
From 10-10-2009

of the Bloodhounds Squadron:
From 10-10-2009

Grumman f-14 Tomcat:
From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

Various Missiles:
From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

I then pedaled down the coast. Perfect weather Temps in the 70's, not a cloud in the sky, and Aqua water, May I should have gone on to Carpenteria.
The cut at Mugu Rock:
From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

From 10-10-2009

Almost back to Ralphs. did I tell you That I came close to equaling my record for 100 miles, despite my lesuirley approach?
From 10-10-2009

Part of the Reason for doing the distance was I had been getting Debilitating neck pain at about 90 miles on the Bent,so I Bought a headrest. Worked out very well.
I stopped and Talked to Dana at Bentup. That 60 mile ride? He and I were about the only people who were planning on showing up, so he canceled it. Maybe I should have used my cell phone to check my email at Ventura. on the plus side Dana dubbed my new Vechile the "Rando Rondo"
If you've read this blog, you'll know I like hockey. Well Two of My Favorite team, The La Kings and the St. Louis Blues, were playing each other. I though I would make it home in time, but missed the first period. May be I need a DVR.....

No comments: