Saturday, April 19, 2008

Listening.....




I imagine some of you are waiting for my 400K ride report. Well, I didn't do it!
I did something to my back on Saturday, plus I've busy with Java stuff. So I decided to do Permanent instead.
Only I didn't do that, either. Friday was an insanely crazy day at work. I ready to collapse when I got home at 8 after a walmart and Albertson's run.
so I talked over, and listened for that still small voice (remember 1 Kings 19?) and id the club ride.
Things were going swimmingly well. I talked briefly with a gentleman visiting from Redding before the climb up Mt baldy started. I actually made to the regroup at Shinn Road(a quarter of the way up Mt Baldy) before everyone left. (which for me is a minor miracle). I lost the group coming down Shinn, Mountain, and Euclid.
When I got to split in Euclid(near the San Antonio Heights fire station), a fireman was waving for me to stop. For those reading who aren't familiar with the area, Euclid at this point is 12-15% descent for about a half mile. you can do 50-60mph without too much of any effort. My friend from Redding apparently had a speed wobble, and reacted by locking his front brake. He was laying out cold in the middle of the street.
Thankfully, not only was the fire station next door, but several search and rescue teams were practicing in an old supermarket across the street. I don't deal well with blood, so I decided that the best thing was to ride back and tell everyone else, so we could make sure everything was in order.
We found from the liability waiver that his name is Dale Wright. He was airlifted to Loma Linda University Medical center.
Needless to say this put a damper on the day. I was some problems with the saddles on the new Roubiax, I had one that hurt in the front, and one that hurt in the rear. The one that hurt in the rear is a Specialized Avatar, which come in Multiple widths. I was going to ride to InCycle in San Dimas, since they are the pretty much the biggest bike store in the area and a Specialized dealer. But since i was going to bring in the bike for the 30 day tuneup, I decided to see if Don's had one in stock. which it turns out that they did!
So listening? I think that is what we are called to do. and like the passage says, God often speaks in a small voice, and it hard to hear in the world.
I was think about that in light of my pics for today. The first is a view of the San Antonio dam. The bus is the second - the URL is repobustours.com I guess what brought it to mind was that we got lost in materialism(louder voice). you must have the best.(I must be loser for riding a 105 equipped bike, right?)
I'll leave you with an image to ponder. when I lived in Dallas in the 80's , I read the Dallas Times Herald. One Sunday, the had an article about the car of the rich famous. Among them was at the time the Richest person in the United states - H Ross Perot - His car? a Chevy Impala.

1 comment:

Mike Schwab said...

http://beginnersinvest.about.com/od/samwalton/p/aasamwalton.htm
Sam Walton drove used pickup trucks and clothes from his own stores - Walmart.

The blog owner reported on bikejournal.com that the injured rider has been declared brain dead.