Saturday, January 26, 2008

It never snows in Southern California....










Well, like the song says, Girl, don't they warn ya...
I had been noticing when I was waiting for the train that it had been snow, and fairly low elevations. so i decided that since I had not done Lytle Creek canyon in a while, I would head there today and see how low the snow was.
Today stared out nice and sunny.(see the bottom pic). Which actually turned to be bad(was supposed to be overcast). I stopped at a park in Fontana, and took another pic
I really didn't have that much of problem with cars until I got to Lytle Creek Road. I took some more pics at the Ranger station,and the Oriental church retreat across the road. I got on my bike again and pedaled to the campground. One of the nice things about Lytle Creek Road is that landmarks are conveniently spaced elevation wise. The 15/Sierra ave interchange is at 2000 feet, The ranger station is at 2500, the town of Lytle Creek is at 3000, and Applewhite campground is at 3500.
I soon pedaled off the County road and onto the Forest Service road. A lot of folks had driven up to play in the snow. one of the more unusual things people do here is to fill their pick up beds full of snow and take it home. Where I come from they used to shovel it out so your bed wouldn't rust out(this was before bed liners).
at about 4,300 feet the snow got where the cars were slipping on it. I had started to slide a couple of times, so I decided to turn around, even though I was mile short of the pavement end at the firing range. so I went home .
fun day , but I didn't see any sheep (:

No comments: